Our approach to uniform reflects our values and reinforces our school’s culture of high expectations and academic achievement. Our uniform is mandatory, it is therefore really important that all pupils must dress according to our agreed uniform approach. It is one way in which we identify ourselves as a school community and it promotes a strong, cohesive school identity which supports high standards and expectations in all areas of school life.
Our approach to uniform has been written in-line with the statutory guidance on the costs of school uniform and is regularly reviewed. For pupils in EYFS and KS1 there is only 1 item of uniform which must be bought from our uniform provider (Monkhouse) this is the school jumper which has the school logo on it; in KS2 pupils must also wear the school tie which can be purchased from Monkhouse; all other items can be purchased from an outlet of parent/ carer choosing.
Smartness and high standards of appearance are expected at all times.
We have a school uniform for several reasons:
- A uniform unites the school. Pupils make a commitment that when they put on their Charlton Wood Primary Academy uniform they will abide by the rules of our community.
- A uniform reduces distractions. We are focused on achieving success but when pupils are allowed to wear their own clothing, there is the potential for distraction.
- A uniform make us all equal. Whether families have high incomes or low incomes, the pupils come to school looking the same way. No one has to feel bad about the clothes they have or don’t have.
- Uniforms look professional. Pupils look neat and ready to learn so we ask parents and carers to support all decisions made by school staff regarding whether or not clothing is appropriate or inappropriate for school.
If your child does not come to school wearing the correct uniform, or does not have a PE kit, we will ask them to change into a uniform/ PE kit which will be provided by school – if there is a problem with uniform/ PE kit please speak to your child’s class teacher or the Head Teacher.
Our school uniform is:
- Grey trousers or skirt/dress (shorts and blue gingham dress/ playsuit in the summer)
- Blue polo shirt
- Crew navy sweatshirt or cardigan with school logo
- Sensible black school shoes or black trainers. Velcro fastenings are helpful until the children can tie their own laces. The children will be running about outside and need to be safe
- Grey trousers or skirt/dress (shorts and blue gingham dress/ playsuit in the summer) - where pupils where a gingham dress there is no requirement for a tie
- Blue shirt
- V-neck navy sweatshirt or cardigan with school logo
- School tie
- Sensible black school shoes or black trainers
PE kit should be kept in school in a named bag:
- Blue T-shirt, navy shorts, grey jogging bottoms and grey hoodie for outside PE, trainers/daps
- It is useful to put a spare pair of pants and socks in the PE bag in case of accidents or getting wet on rainy days
Please name all items of school uniform.
Jewellery/ hair bands and make up
Children are allowed to wear 1 plain stud earring in each ear and a watch. For safety reasons, no other jewellery is permitted.
Children should have tied back hair and should not wear large hair bands/ bows as these can be distracting. If your child comes in wearing one of these we will keep it until the end of the day and give it back to you at home time.
No make-up or nail varnish is permitted.
To order uniform items, please visit Monkhouse website by clicking here. Please note that no school uniform is held in school and your child will need the correct uniform before they are allowed to attend school.
Help with the cost of uniform
Parents may be able to apply for a grant to help with the cost of school uniform if their child is in years 1 -6. Further information can be found at: https://findhttps://find-information-for-adults-children-families.southglos.gov.uk/kb5/southglos/directory/advice.page?id=ebLIMFqaRwQinformation-for-adults-children-families.southglos.gov.uk/kb5/southglos/directory/advice.page?id=ebLIMFqaRwQ
Our parents group also hold regular second hand uniform sales for parents to buy uniform cheaply.